Monday, October 10, 2011

So, I Caught a Catfish....



Last weekend I decided to experiment with trolling from my kayak.  I was totally unprepared, but as I say, it was an experiment.  Within the first hour on the water, I began my most unpleasant fishing experience to date.

It all started on Possum Track Road.  I had my boat strapped to the roof and I pulled over just after I crossed a bridge.  I was determined to get everything to the water in one trip.  My kayak weighs about 70 pounds, but with my gear it's probably close to 100, so I figured I'd just slide the boat on its keel down the red clay path to the lake.  I neglected to walk the path first.  If I had, I would have seen the giant roots and the four foot drop just inside the tree line.  After getting to the water, I made two trips back up the path to pick up the gear that fell out along the way.  Whatever, I'm at the water.  I fastened the seat, rod holders, tackle boxes, anchor, and all the other accessories I've collected.  All right, time to start fishing.

I rigged up my rods to stick out either side of the boat.  I attached lures and cast away.  I began a leisurely paddle into the lake.

After several lure changes, I tied a chrome Rat-L-Trap to one line and let it sink.  I stopped paddling and just drifted, sending text messages to a friend about how I was having no luck so far.  I noticed the rod tip was bouncing, and then it bent so much that the tip touched the water.  With a good yank, the fight was on.

After about ten minutes of reeling, pumping, and several "not yet" moments from my adversary, I hauled a catfish onto the deck.  It had swallowed the lure, which was now hopelessly stuck in its throat.  I wanted my lure back, so I knew I would have to kill the fish.  I decided to keep it alive until I was on shore, where I could dispatch it and take it home for supper.  Time to use the clip stringer I carry.

I've never used a clip stringer before.  I learned that the old rope through the Gill strings will kill the fish, so I bought the kind that has big metal clips.  I should have sharpened the clips because it was tough to shove through the thick skin of that fish.  After securing my quarry, I tossed it into the water and continued fishing.
That catfish was the only catch for the day, and I dispatched him when I beached the boat.  After a long uphill drag back to the truck, I loaded my gear, tossed the fish in the back, and headed home.

It looks great in the pan!
Back at home, my son enjoyed gutting and skinning that ugly critter.  I cut all the meat from the spine and tossed it in a simple dry breading of flour, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.  Some oil in an iron pan completed the prep work.  The fillets went in the grease until they were golden brown, and soon it was time to taste the catch.

I've never been so disgusted!  It was tough, chewy, and tasted like a lake!  The dog was thrilled.


Lessons learned:
Catfish taste as good as they look
Always walk a trail before you transport gear
Kayak carts are good
A lost lure is cheaper than a useless fish

No comments: